I’m in a love hate relationship with SIRI. Up until I got the HomePod I’d all but stopped using it on my iPhone, frustrated at the limitations and lack of seemingly being able to understand me. It was another story in the car though, with CarPlay I was using it all the time to get traffic, play music and deal with my messages. It was like it had a split personality.
Roll onto February 2018 and with the release of HomePod I’ve been pretty impressed with how well it’s been working for me.
First off the microphones in the HomePod are crazy good. I can pretty much talk as quietly as possible (like talking to someone next to me) and I’m picked up. I can even be in another room and I’ll be listened to perfectly.
My uses so far
- What’s the weather like?
- How’s the weather looking tomorrow?
- Set a timer for X minutes
- Play me some music
- Remind me to…
Where I’m limited so far
- What’s on my calendar tomorrow?
- What’s my next appointment?
So, it has some limitations but the good news is these can be fixed in software. The hardware is solid and I’m totally happy with it.
So, in a nutshell
- Microphones are amazing
- SIRI has me covered for the basics
- I’m hoping for more abilities via software, expecting this to be in September with the release of iOS 12