Since restoring my iPhone a few weeks ago I’ve fallen back into the trap of the modern smartphone. What I mean by this is having all of the apps I can available to me to use and getting caught up in these Infinity wells, such as YouTube and Social networking. Neither of which are particularly great for my wellbeing these days.
It hit me this morning whilst browsing Reddit, why am I mindlessly doing this?.
I want to be more intentional with how I’m using my technology and allow myself to be bored. Enjoy a walk without a podcast in my ears sometimes or just enjoy the warm sunshine on my face in the garden with no desire to see what’s happening on Twitter.
It also hit me that I’ve written about this before on the blog, many times actually. I’ve written about helping to reduce the time you spend on your phone and also steps I’ve made, such as only checking Twitter once a week but I’ve forgotten to listen to former me!
This post is a reminder that when I fall into bad habits to step back and think about how I want to use my technology and interact with the world around me.
So this week I’ll be back to
- Removing all social networking apps from my iphone
- Checking Twitter weekly for notifications
- Sharing smaller posts more, I’ve noticed good feedback from readers of my stuff lately. This in part because my default is to share here rather than on social media
- Reducing my podcast consumption (I’m listening to over 20 shows a week!)
- Leaving YouTube (again)
- Deleting Reddit apps (again)
- Doing my best to stick with one to do app and keeping it simple
And remembering to read some of my earlier stuff